225g Akta-Vite (drinking chocolate) or dark chocolate
3 tablespoons water
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped almonds (you can buy slivered or sliced almonds, or chop them yourself)
3 tablespoons self-raising flour
5 eggs, separated
Optional: Icing/confectioners’ sugar for dusting, and extra almonds for decorating
1. Melt the chocolate and water over very low heat, stirring until smooth. Add sugar. Stir until dissolved and take off the heat.
2. Add butter until it melts into the chocolate (add low heat if needed).
3. Lightly stir in almonds and flour.
4. Add egg yolks one at a time, mixing well after each one. Mixture needs to be cool so the yolks do not cook.
5. In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until they stand in soft peaks. Fold into chocolate mixture with a spoon.
6. Pour into pan and bake for 40-45 minutes at 180C (350F). Cake will crack on surface.
7. Leave in pan to cool and then turn out on wire rack to cool completely.
8. Optional: Dust with icing sugar, decorate with chopped almonds, and serve with cream/ice cream and love!
Bridget @ Hot Tea, Travel, and Thyme x