As most people are aware, St Patrick’s Day (the feast day for the patron saint of Ireland) is coming up on Friday 17th March, 2017, but did you know that there was another saint’s day that fell on Wednesday 1st March, 2017?
That’s right, it was St David’s Day, the feast day for the patron saint of Wales.
Since we have now made the big move to the UK I thought it would be nice to celebrate St David’s Day with a simple Welsh recipe. This dish is an easy meal or snack when you are time-limited (as so many of us are) with work, kids, and other commitments.
Here it is, Cheesy Leeks On Toast:
- Wash the leek and chop into small pieces.
- Melt a small amount of butter into a fry pan, along with a tablespoon of olive oil and the crushed garlic.
- Add some sea salt and cracked black pepper.
- Heat the leek in the pan until super soft (it may need ten minutes or so).
- Toast a couple of slices of bread, and melt or grill the slices of cheese on top. If you want the added flavour of mustard, spread this on the bread before adding the cheese slices.
- Spoon the leeks onto the slices of cheese toast.
- Enjoy this easy Welsh-inpsired recipe!
- Time-Saving Tip: The good thing about this leek mixture is how versatile it is. You can use it as a pasta sauce or as a base for risotto dishes, or add it to any number of vegetable (or meat) dishes for extra flavour. It may be worthwhile making a bigger batch as I did and then adding it to other dishes as desired.
See you again next time, and happy feasting!
Bridget @ Hot Tea Travel & Thyme x